Patents in our intellectual property (IP) portfolio can be licensed by companies that manufacture, sell or distribute products that implement a wide range of technologies including:
WiLAN’s wireless access portfolio consists of patents with broad global coverage. The portfolio covers:
- 3G Cellular patents covering 3rd-Generation mobile telecommunication technologies and that are relevant to industry standards for high speed wireless access, including HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) and EVDO (Evolution Data Only).
- 4G Cellular patents covering 4th-Generation mobile telecommunication technologies that are relevant to industry standards for next generation high-speed wireless access, including LTE (Long-Term Evolution) and WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access).
- Wireless LAN (Local Area Network) and PAN (Personal Area Network) that are relevant to industry standards, including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Technologies relating to mobile operating systems.
WiLAN’s wireline access portfolio consists of patents with broad global coverage. The portfolio covers:
- Cable modem technology that is primarily used to deliver broadband Internet access. The patents are relevant to industry standards, including DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) for providing high-speed Internet and other data over coaxial cable networks.
- DSL (Digital Subscriber Line), a family of technologies that provide Internet access by transmitting digital data over the wires of a local telephone network. The patents are relevant to industry standards, including: ADSL, ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+.
WiLAN’s digital television portfolio consists of patents with broad global coverage. The portfolio covers:
- V-Chip, a technology that allows users of multimedia devices to block programming they consider inappropriate. Programming can be from a television broadcast, DVD/VCR/DVDR or computers capable of receiving and processing broadcast signals.
- Video Processing, technologies that enable frame rate conversion, picture-in-picture, motion estimation and video compression and decompression for digital video. The patents are relevant to industry standards, including video codec H.264/MPEG-4, one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression and distribution of high-definition video.
- Display Technologies, encompassing a range of applications including LCD and Plasma.
- IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) technologies through which television services are delivered using Internet protocol instead of via traditional satellite signal and cable television formats.
WiLAN’s portfolio also contains patents pertaining to semiconductor, digital storage and antennae technologies, among other technologies.